Web Portal Based Data Search and Download
ESGF portals provide a flexible faceted search interface:
- Please visit an ESGF portal
- Use one of the web browsers in the browsers list of the ESGF FAQ.
- If a message like "This Connection is Untrusted" appears, please add the portal to your trusted sites
- If a message appears whether to use your credentials imported into your browser, please press "cancel"
- Select a project-specific search (if any) on the left or "Search with options" in the "Search & Download Data" box on the right
In the search form:
- On the left you can select search facets (search categories, 1)
- Press "Search" (2)
According to your selections a set of search results (list of datasets) is displayed. Metadata and file list of each dataset can be opened without registration and login.
Please follow the following steps to access data via your web browser:
- Registration: If you are a new user, select "Create Account" (3)
- Provide your identification information (username, password, email etc.).
- After successfull registration, please, remember your OpenID displayed, it should look like https://your_portal/esgf-idp/openid/your_user_name. You can immediately use this OpenID to log into any of the ESGF portals along with your password!
- Download data:
- Select the "Show Files" option to see individual data files (4)
- Select one of the "HTTPServer" download options (5)
- The data node offering the file requests your OpenID. Either enter your complete OpenID (6a) or use the drop-down list (6b). Press "Go" (7).
- Enter your password (in case you entered your OpenID) or username and password (as in the screenshot after using the drop-down list)
- In case the data is under specific access control conditions, a page shows what to do to get the necessary group membership
- A new window with your browser's download manager pops up and offers you the download of the selected file