URL Based Data Search
The ESGF portals provide a uniform search REST API. This API can be directly accessed by scripting (shell, python, perl,..) as well as programming languages (java, etc.). Use via web browser is also possible, since the search commands are simply appended to the web address. A detailed description of the search API is provided in the ESGF Search RESTful API wiki page.
Here is a short summary of the search possibilities:
(please replace the server prefix http://your-esgf-portal with the prefix of the ESGF portal you would like to use, like
- DKRZ Portal: http://esgf-data.dkrz.de
- BADC Portal: http://esgf-index1.ceda.ac.uk
- IPSL Portal: http://esgf-node.ipsl.upmc.fr
"Meta-queries" to find out about the supported search facets and keywords of the search interface:
- "Which search facets are supported?": http://your-esgf-portal/esg-search/search?facets=*&limit=0&distrib=false
- "Which keywords for specific facets?": http://your-esgf-portal/esg-search/search?facets=model,experiment,project&limit=0
A web browser which is able to display XML is needed.
"Concrete facet/value matching queries":
- "Search for matching cf standard name and project": http://your-esgf-portal/esg-search/search?cf_standard_name=air_temperature&project=CMIP5
"Give me back a script to access search results directly":
- "Give back a data access script (Wget script) for results matching query":http://your-esgf-portal/esg-search/wget/?variable=hus&project=CMIP5&distrib=false