CMIP5 QC Metadata
The CMIP5 quality check process generates additional metadata:
QC status and QC results for CMIP5 experiments
As soon as experiments have entered the QC Level 2 they show up on the
- QCL2_started: QC Level 2 checks are ongoing.
- QCL2_assigned: QC Level 2 is assigned to the experiment.
- QCL3_started: QC Level 3 checks are ongoing.
- QCL3_assigned: QC Level 3 is assigned to the experiment and the data is DOI published according to the DataCite regulations [http://datacite.org/]. This data, its basic metadata and its DOI are persistent.
- QCL1: The data of the experiment is withdrawn and waiting for a QC Level 2 check restart.
CIM quality control metadata documents
As soon as CMIP5 experiments have passed the QC process CIM metadata documents are generated to make QC information available via e.g. es-doc.
DOI data citation information
The final step in the QC process includes the generation of persistent citation information, via the assignment of DOIs. Citation information is provided for data aggregations of a whole CMIP5 experiment from a certain model. To retrieve the citation information for a specific CMIP5 dataset you downloaded you can use the
For this you need the tracking_id, which is part of the header of the CMIP5 files you downloaded. You can extract this tracking_id, e.g. by using the 'ncdump -h' tool or any other tool to read netcdf file headers.